The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

Fall Play (Video)

Johanna Hill, Kayanna Wymbs, and Xoe O’hara, all sophomores, act in the fall production Nov. 15.

After not having a fall play last year, students were primed and ready to make it happen this year. A new drama class was added and Ms. Goodbrake was named the teacher. However, Goodbrake showed up the first day of school looking ready to deliver her baby. Instead of allowing the play to collapse, Mrs. Ibnabdeljalil took over and Goodbrake went happily off on maternity leave. Students worked for a long time, weeks ahead for this event, with rehearsals after school, during seminar and even on a field trip to rehearse the whole day. By the day of the performance, several actors were ready to show everyone their acting skills.

Instead of a full-length play, the production consisted of two shorter shows.

The first run-through of the show took place during seminar on the day of opening night. A few classes came down to show their support, and by the amount of laughter, comments, and clapping, it was a hit.
The performance on opening night began with “The School Spirit,” which was about two best friends, Faith and Ivy, who are complete opposites but strangely close. Ivy dies as a result of texting while driving and the story continues with her as a ghost.

“Dracula in Paradise” was the second play. The lead is Countess Dracula, a female version of Dracula. She needs money right away so she allows a movie to be filmed in her home. Everyone is so excited, especially the kids, Donna and Doug Dracula; the muscle men, Wiener and Schnitzel; and of course the attorneys who set it all up.

Some of the performers had anxiety about going on the stage and saying their lines, and some of them also had tips and different ways to override it.

“To get over being nervous, I just imagined people weren’t there,” said sophomore Kayanna Wymbs, who played Donna Dracula in ”Dracula in Paradise” and Sandy in “The School Spirit.”

The Friday and Saturday shows were also a success, “even better” as some people described it.  There were way more seats filled and hearty rounds of applause.

“I was amazed at how well you guys did and how everything on stage was set up,” said Ms. Hill, assistant principal. “It was fantastic.”

The stage was set up with plenty of different props and decorations that a few of the art classes put together.

During the show, a few performers got stuck with their lines and improvised with lines of their own to save the show.

“I think both of the productions were wonderful works of art in which the students of Mrs. I.’s class has shed blood, sweat and tears on,” said Adama Sow, junior.

View Comments (1)
Donate to U-Times
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of University City High School - MO. Your contribution will go towards our young journalism events such as Media Passes, Sports Game Tickets, And equipment for our students.

Donate to U-Times
$0
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

All U-Times Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

JViethNov 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It’s nice to have some videos on this website!

Reply
Activate Search
Fall Play (Video)