The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

Dancing with U

Music plays from the boom box. You suddenly feel of surge of energy and emotion flow through your body. Your foot slides across the floor as your arms move gracefully around your upper body. Whether it is ballet, jazz, tap, or any other style, students enjoy expressing themselves in the art form of dancing.

While U. City doesn’t offer every single class under the sun, it offers several dance classes for anyone interested in the performing arts.

Out of all of U. City’s neighboring schools, Clayton, Pattonvile and Parkway North are the only school that offers dance. However, even their curriculum is limited to a dance team, not actual dance classes.

The dance program has even been identified as one of the main reasons as to why people, such as freshman Raven Bullard, decide to attend high school at U. City.

“I was iffy about going to U. City and considered going to a performing arts school,” said Bullard. “But since U. City is known for the arts and offers a lot of honors and AP classes, I think it’s the best of both worlds.”

Bullard isn’t the only student that notices U. City’s success in the arts. Sophomore Mia Hicks-Thomas agrees.

“There are definitely a lot of talented and artistic people here,” said Hicks-Thomas.

However, U. City couldn’t have offered so many dance classes if it weren’t for dance teacher, Ms. Morgan. Senior Haley Clemons-Landre is on the verge of graduating and has come a long way in dance because of Morgan’s help.

“I’ve learned that hard work really does pay off,” said Clemons-Landre. “And I’ve learned to be more creative and that has inspired me to look at colleges.”

With 23 years of teaching at U. City under her belt, Morgan is happy teaching at a school that feels like home for her since she grew up in University City.

“I went to U. City and started ballet when I was six years old,” said Morgan. “I took a short break from dancing in middle school, but picked it back up when I was in high school. After I graduated from U. City I danced at University of Missouri-Kansas City and then at Ohio University.”

Students praise Morgan students for her style of teaching.

“I used to be very clumsy and everyone told me that I couldn’t dance, but with Ms. Morgan’s help, I’ve gained self-confidence and feel like I can do anything,” said Bullard.

However, Morgan isn’t the only one responsible for keeping dance and the arts alive at U. City.

“We have a great art staff,” said Morgan. “Our department coordinator, Ms. Claunch, does a lot of hard work to give U. City the best art program.”

Recently, Morgan was recognized by the Arts and Education Council as the Art Educator of the year.