The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

August Sasstrology

August Sasstrology

Happy last month of summer vacation, readers. Get ready for school starting by having some insight by what might happen to you this month, but before the horoscopes, the mythology behind the zodiac sign of Leo will be discussed in this introduction since most Leos have their birthday this month.

The symbol for Leo is the lion. That lion is the Nemean Lion. Leo, like other zodiac signs, such as Sagittarius and Cancer, has a story that includes being immortalized as a constellation after being killed by Heracles, the Greek counterpart of Hercules.

When Heracles was given his twelve labors for penance, one of those labors was to slay the Nemean Lion and bring back its hide as proof.

However, the Lion’s pelt was impenetrable and impossible to cut through. Heracles didn’t know this and first attempted to kill the Lion by shooting it with arrows, which did nothing but enrage the beast.

Heracles managed to trap the Lion and hit it on the head with his club hard enough to knock it out for a while.

He eventually found out that its pelt couldn’t be cut by anything except for the Lion’s claws. Heracles uses its claws as to skin it and wears the hide of the Nemean Lion as his own personal body armor.

The Nemean Lion got its name because his godmother, Hera, goddess of marriage, sent him to live in Nemea after taking care of him as a cub. Hera sent him to live there because she was angry at her husband, Zeus, for having affairs and children, with other women. There was a temple of worship for Zeus in Nemea, which meant if anyone wanted to worship him they would have to go through the Lion.

Upon finding out of the death of the Nemean Lion, Hera was pretty upset. Especially since she resented Heracles because he was one of the children that Zeus had without her.

Hera took this sorrow of the Lion’s death by immortalizing the fantastical animal by making it the constellation of Leo.

And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

Whether or not you’re dreading the start of school, this month’s set of horoscopes, just might be the highlight of the month for you, so on to the predictions.

Aries (March 21-April 19)
August begins with you feeling as if you have just awoken from a hundred-year-long slumber. This feeling of a rebirth will reflect in your personality and personal life. You will be re-energized with enough passion to make you think that you’re unstoppable whenever you put your mind to it. This would also be a great time of the year to add more people to your social circle.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)
As a rather particular and picky person, you prefer for things to go your way. However, you don’t control the world; sorry. But you can control the decisions you make. This month you will be faced with some not-so-good events that could result you having to decide who you want to keep as a friend and give your loyalty to. Either way, you don’t have to be afraid to speak your mind.

Gemini (May 21-June 20)
Some say that actions speak louder than words, but the truth is that Geminis’ mouths speak louder than actions. Besides, what good is a voice if you don’t talk about your thoughts and feelings? However, be mindful of the power of words, and you will find like-minded people with similar opinions to you. If you aren’t then you could lose someone who means a lot to you.

Cancer (June 21-July 22)
It’s time to look at things through a different perspective. Try to put yourself in the shoes of someone that you don’t understand at all. Imagine things from their point of view and you will not only understand them, but you will also find beauty in the things that seemed unimportant to you but are the whole world to them. This new understanding will bring harmony to your life.

Leo (July 23-Aug 22)
Summer vacation may be ending soon, but you feel like it hasn’t been meaningful or fulfilling enough. The very idea of sitting in a classroom is the exact opposite of the desire for adventure that you’ve had lately. Try to see the light at the end of the tunnel; if you make through the school year, you’ll make it to the next summer vacation, which will bring more adventures.

Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22)
Perhaps you have been feeling a sense of disappointment or isolation. These feelings could be attributed to some recent imperfection that you caused. Understand that you don’t have to be perfect; the only thing that you need to do is breathe and stay alive. Turn to your friends to help brighten up your day with some socializing and influence to appreciate the little things in life.

Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22)
The last month of summer will bring confusion to you. It will feel as if you’re torn in half as you stand at a crossroads. You’re an intellectual person, but at the same time you value feeling stable with your emotions. You will have to make a decision this month, but do you listen to your heart or head? Ask your friends for advice on this one; they’re the ones that know you the best.

Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21)
Summer’s almost over and you’re going to go out with a bang. While there will be a surprise situation, you will make a decision that will result in smooth sailing from there. From that point on befriend someone who lives far from you or someone who has come from quite a distance. In this new friendship you will find similarities even though you aren’t from the same place.

Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21)
Exploration will be a key part of August for you. Horizons will broaden and your usual comfort zone will widen. All points of view in your life will learn and develop. They won’t necessarily change, but they will become more understanding to others that you haven’t always gotten along with. This will only occur if you allow yourself to find new things, so let your curiosity run wild.

Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19)
At times you will feel like you aren’t appreciated enough by people you care for. Your desire for companionship won’t stop until you build a stronger relationship with your friends or even find a new friend. At the end of the month you will either feel filled with joy from others’ appreciation or you will become content with loneliness from not reaching out.

Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18)
Regardless of summer ending, August will be like a party for you. Your urge for spending time with your friends will be at an all-time high, which means that starting school and seeing them all day won’t be that big of a downer for you. In addition to that, people will be drawn to your personality. Making new friends will lead to plenty of conversation and potential for happiness.

Pisces (Feb 19-March 20)
As school begins, your school life and personal life will become connected and work together in a way. This could have multiple possibilities. A classmate could become attracted to you or vice versa. It could also result in your feelings influencing the decisions that you make at school and work. To find happiness and fun this month find a balance of listening to your heart and head.

Sources:
http://www.eastrolog.com/monthly-horoscopes/

http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/constellation-leo-myth.html

http://4vector.com/free-vector/zodiac-leo-clip-art-110030