The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

Cell Phone Policy Remains Controversial

Students walk around school looking miserable, while teachers are grinning ear to ear. Cell phones are nowhere to be found.

U. City’s cell phone policy is in full effect. No cell phones are allowed at lunch. No cell phones in the hallway. No cell phones period.

“I think it’s lame for students not to be able to use their phones in school because students can use what’s on their phones for school,” freshman Denisha Steele said.

Although that is very true for some students, others just like to get on Instagram, Twitter, and other apps or games which are not educational and can’t help one succeed in school.

“I think it’s a good policy because it helps students from being distracted in class and prevents negative communication that can cause conflict,” freshman counselor Ms. Kravitz said.

Not everyone agrees with Kravitz or the administration on the decision.

“We should be able to use our phones at lunch because it’s not disrupting our learning environment,” freshman Bria Spiller said.

After being told multiple times that cell phones aren’t allowed in school, students still feel the need to pull out their phones, which results in them facing the consequences.

“One time they took my phone because I wouldn’t put it away.” said Spiller. “They took it for a day and my mom had to come get it.”

Teachers enforce the policy on a regular basis. They even give out a warnings about using cellphones and students still don’t listen.

“I will give a student a warning to put up their phone,” Kravitz said. “But, if I see it again, I’m going to take it.”

Even though students can’t use their phones, teachers are allowed to use their phones when necessary.

“I don’t think it’s fair that teachers can use their phones but students can’t,” Steele said. “If we can’t use our phones, they can’t either.”

Teachers can’t just whip out their phones during class. However, there isn’t a rule saying that they aren’t allowed to use their phones.

“I think as long as teachers are using their phones responsibly, and when they’re not teaching, it’s OK for them to use their phones,” Kravitz said.

As long as cell phones are nowhere in sight, teachers are happy, classrooms are running smoothly and students are still moping around.