The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

Preparing for Prom

The perfect dress. A matching tuxedo. Car rentals and hotel rooms. Prom season is in full swing and it’s the time of year seniors have been waiting for.

“It’s not going to be as exciting as last year because my boyfriend is away at college and I don’t have anyone to share my special moment with me,” said senior Deshunai Barlowe. “I’m still going to try to have as much fun as it would be if he was here my senior year.”

The prom theme, Cirque du Soleil, was brought about by the junior class officers after being inspired by different elements of a circus. With the possibilities of not only having a DJ, but also rumors have spread that there will be stilt men, flame jugglers and waitresses in circus attire.

“We decided on ideas that would shock people,” said junior Lilian Getachew. “Look forward to a room full of colors and props, unwitnessed at any other prom.”

Very few juniors go to prom, wishing not to ruin any excitement for their senior year.

“The majority of the people I am friends with are seniors this year and I want to see them off,” said junior Kinyata Robinson. “I don’t mind spending $300 on a dress that I’m only going to wear for one night of my junior year.”

Preparation can be a major stress if one hasn’t bought a dress early or planned for the night in a great enough time in advance.

“I’m very nervous about not having a dress yet with only 25 days to go but I’m still optimistic and determined to go,” said senior Deja Bowie. “I’m stuck between two dresses as of now.”

To spark up the excitement, FCCLA hosted the second annual Prom Fashion Show which features local stores such as Calla Lily, in the Delmar Loop, and Savvi Hollywood.

“Jillian Pritchard wore a royal blue dress with multi-colored essential studs from Calla Lilly on the runway which is something like the dress I wanted to get made, but I’m going with something a little different,” said senior Daja Miller.

A week prior to the big day, the cafeteria was swarming with flyers and posters of seniors campaigning for their spot to be announced Prom King or Queen. This year, the senior runners up will be Prom Prince and Princess, instead of juniors claiming those titles. Elections will be held during A and B lunch on Friday before prom.

“I’ve planned this since freshman year, I specifically didn’t run for anything prior to this because I wanted this specific crown,” said senior Gianni Cook. “This is my year of winning things.”