The School Newspaper of University City High School

U-Times

U-Times

U-Times

FCCLA Hosts Prom Fashion Show

On Fri., March 7, the FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) club drew the curtains and turned on the spotlights to reveal prom dresses borrowed from vendors including Calla Lily, ScholarShop, and Refresh, and tuxedos from Savvy Formal Wear. The occasion was the annual prom fashion show.

The show began almost immediately with students modeling everything from flowing gowns to bright bow ties and tuxes. Students volunteered to perform in the show and held a practice Thursday and Friday before the show to perfect their catwalk. Behind the scenes models were in a dressing room doing their hair and makeup and changing.

“The dressing rooms were crazy,” said model Brianna Sanford, junior. “It was a mess. We had like five seconds to change, clothes were everywhere, and people didn’t know what to wear. We just had to be quick.”

FCCLA spent two months finding vendors, promoting the show, recruiting models, choosing music, and making programs for the show. They had planned for the show to be a fundraiser because they needed to make money to attend a fashion show together, improve the show next year, and participate in other activities. Though raising money was one of their goals, it wasn’t their only. Their other objectives for the show included having fun and showing prom fashion trends.

“I had fun modeling the dresses and being cheered on,” said Sanford. “I didn’t expect so many cheers from such a small crowd.”

Halfway through the show Taylor Bass, sophomore, performed John Legend’s “Ordinary People.”

“Her voice brought me to tears,” said Kayla Jones, sophomore. “I’ve never heard her sing like that.”

Eventually the show ended with a raffle ticket pulling for prom tickets and two gift cards. Caitlynn Ward, senior, won a prom ticket, Ayonna Tiption, freshman, won a $15 gift card to Froyo and Michael McMahon, freshman, won a $15 gift card for Cocktailz Beauty Bar. Model Katrina Allen, senior, was also given a tribute in the show when everyone sang “Happy Birthday” to her since the show was held on her eighteenth birthday.

“I was shocked when everyone started singing to me,” said Allen. “My boyfriend asked Ms. Strohm to do it for me so it was a surprise. It was really shocking and I appreciated it and I thought it was funny because everyone was rushing me to put on my dress and I didn’t realize why. ”

[slideshow id=72 w=400 h=300]